Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Katharsys Interview


1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?

Yes, of course. Here JL from Kathaarsys, thanks for the interview. The band starts around 2000 but the first record was in 2004, released in 2005(re-released in 2006 through Concreto Records), it was our first album "Portrait of Wind and Sorrow". Since 2005 the line up changed because the lack of passion and professionality of the old members, the new musicians are the same since 2006 (Marta, the bassist, join the band already in 2005) and the three actual people is really the essence of Kathaarsys. The second album, "Verses in Vain", was recorded in 2006 and released in 2007 through our current label Silent Tree Productions, this album was really important for the band, the popularity of Kathaarsys increased and we did some tours in Europe and even in south america. Now we have a new album, "Anonymous Ballad", and a new tour scheduled in Europe and probably we will be in America again this year.

2. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before?

Well, is really hard to explain. We are open minded people, we just want to do good quality music and for us is really important do some original stuff. We have many influences from all kind of extreme metal but also from another kind of genres like jazz, rock, acoustic stuff... Something like a progressive black/dark metal with an important inspiration took from nature

3. How many releases have you put out so far?

Just the three albums and a very limited single

Portrait of Wind and Sorrow Full-length CD, 2005 selfreleased
Portrait of Wind and Sorrow Full-length CD, 2006 re-released by Concreto Records...
And All My Existence in Vain Single CD, 2007 Silent Tree Productions
Verses In Vain Full-length 2CD..s, 2007 Silent Tree Productions
Anonymous Ballad Full-length CD, 2009 Silent Tree Productions

4. How would you describe your musical progress over the years?

Personally I start to share my music with people only when I was sure about the quality and originality of the stuff, so the progress was in the same way, I try to compose the best stuff possible and the whole band do the same with the complex arrangements, live shows, etc. I think we have a peculiar sound and in "Anonymous Ballad" I think we achieved a really original stuff

5. What are some of the best shows that you have done before and what crowds would you say are the best or craziest?

We did a lot of shows but I think the best and craziest crowds was in France, Belgium and sometimes in Spain

6. Are there any plans for an U.S tour?

Yes, of course, we want to tour there because a lot of people told us:
"why not in US?" hahaha
We have a possibility to tour in the US this year, I hope it finally works

7. what are some of your main influences music wise or non music wise?

Music wise I think in the first years particularly black metal in the vein of Ulver, this kind of stuff. But now I think is impossible to say, we listen a lot of music and then the influences would be really diverse

8. What are you listening to these days and what are some good bands that you would recommend?

Hehehe, well I..m not the best option to ask that, I..m not listening extreme music now, just old stuff like Pink Floyd, King Crimson or rock bands like Pearl Jam, ...

9. When I heard your music I heard a a lot of Nature and Celtic Paganism in your music, does that stuff play a role in your music and life?

Yes, of course nature is really important for me. I was born in a little village near to the galician forest so nature is an important part of me. Concerning paganism, I..m not interested in any kind of religion, I just wrote about paganism in the earliest sense of respect to the nature, we live times of terrible destruction of ancient nature heritage... is an absurd tragedy. Anonymous Ballad is the concept-prologue of a reflection about this reality, the struggle between boring and stupid modern times and the immense beauty of nature...

10. What are some good books or films that you would recommend?

I was impressed with the Zeitgeist documentary, I knew the horrible situation of our reality but there are some things that I never expect... Concerning books I really love the book of Gore Vidal about roman emperor Julian, is good to see the influence of cristianism in the born of a new filosofy of life, a lot of abominable things we now suffer started with the arriving of cristianism to the state power

11. What is your opinion on the metal scene in Spain and what are some good bands that you would recommend from that country?

Metal scene in Spain is scarce, some good bands: Fallen Sentinel, Nahemah, Darkness By Oath...

12. Any final words?

Yes, thanks for interview. I really hope to tour in your country and see you there! You can check the band in our official website and myspace: www. kathaarsys. org , www. myspace. com/kathaarsys

13.Thanks for the interview

No comments:

Post a Comment