Monday, July 8, 2013

Cicadan Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about this project for those that have never heard of you before?
1. This project is the product of a couple of motivations. The first motivation is the natural landscape around the area I grew up in - hot, dry woodland, sunburnt eucalypts home to hardy insects, birds etc; it all tells a unique narrative, one specific to that land, and Cicadan is my interpretation of that land through the lens of total destruction much of it has experienced due to humans. The second motivation is personal catharsis - expressing the narratives of the land through soundscapes is a way for me personally to foster a connection with my surrounding environment.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
2. Cicadan is a collection of 'music' and 'sound', reflecting the area I've described in the previous question. While it includes ambient sounds from the area, the instrumentation is also intended to reflect the environment - while the woodland can be as calm and peaceful as an acoustic melody, it can also be as razor-sharp and unforgiving as an overdriven amplifier.
3. Your lyrics cover Green-anarchism, Atavism and Nature, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?
3. I guess the lyrics reflect my own beliefs; Earth first, people last.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
4. In summer, the forests around here are filled with thousands of cicadas that produce a tremendous sound. One cicada isn't much of a sound, but a whole forest full of them? That's a force. Oftentimes the creatures whose habitats we plunder and destroy have no voice, but the cicadas have really found a way to make their presence known.
5. Currently there is only 1 member in the band, do you plan on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
5. There are no plans to expand the line-up, though collaborations could likely happen.
6.Currently you are signed to Eternal Warfare Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
6.EWR have put out a lot of music from people I respect, in a way that I respect.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?
7. I've had positive responses, I've had negative responses. What can I say? I love making it.
8.Are you involved with any other musical projects or is this full time?
8. I have another personal music project I have been tinkering with, which might come to fruition one day, we will see. Other than that, no.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. I can't really say, the path seems to be revealing itself as I make the music. I've begun work on a second release, which I feel is grittier, darker. Black metal, in particular, is a journey. When you start making it, you are only just entering the void from which these sounds burn. I think the first album, Mother, is the entrance to the void, and later releases will explore further into this intangible realm. Once well inside the void, black metal musicians seem to follow one of two paths; either stay in the void, or transcend it to gain stronger purchase on our reality.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10.A few bands in the Pacific North-west US have been of influence and are close friends; Skagos, Mania; I feel Wolves in the Throne Room deserve mention. Lately I have been listening to a lot of dark ambient noise.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. Outside of music, my interests are centred on environmental justice. Lately I have been working with Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
12. Thanks for the interview, I hope I've covered enough ground with it. And thanks for supporting the music, it means the world.


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment