Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Arathgoth Interview


1.Can you give us an introduction to the band for those that will be hearing of you for the first time?

Arathgoth! This is the name of the only musician of this project of Dungeon synth, dark ambient and atmospheric black metal! So there is no group but one musician : who I am does not matter. I live in the musical world  that I’ve created and that is the foundation of my existence !

2.How would you describe the musical sound of all 4 of the albums and also how do they differ from each other?

I’ve started with Medieval Dungeon Synth for “the season of ashes” then I've lost myself in space and Science Fiction with “Interplanetary Travel”. After that, I was proud of “Man With No Fate” because it sounded exactly like what I had in mind. Finally, “Brutal Winter” was made in 2 times : first, the synth tracks inspired by winter and, then, the black metal ones inspired a lot by Conan The Cimmerian.

3.The earlier albums where more dungeon synth but the new one is more black metal influenced, what was the decision behind going into this direction and also will this direction continue on future releases?

I’m a guitar player so I wished to put guitars and vocals.. and by the way, I was angry at that time ;)

4.Can you tell us a little bit more about the themes you explored with the synth albums and also what style of lyrics did you use on the black metal recordings?

I often imagine an adventure or a feeling and I try to express that into music. Very often, this is sad or melancholic emotions, sometimes anger but never hate ! I’m inspired by what I felt when I read a book or watch movies. For the lyrics, I’m a fan of Conan from Robert E Howard. In fact, there is a song “ the deadly night “ which is about a short story of Conan “The Lair Of The Ice Worm”. “Brutal Winter” takes some parts of a poeme from Robert E Howard and “Gods of the North” is inspired by the short story “The Frost Giants Daugther”.  About the 2 others : “Lost in the blizzard” is about my anger and my will of going behond my limits and “Pale Moon” is about loneliness and the fact that, at the end, we’re always alone.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Arathgoth?

I’ve created this character to illustrate my musical world. The name came by itself, without thinking !

6.Currently there is only 1 member in the band, do you see the line up expanding in the future or do you chose to remain solo?

Maybe… it’ll depends of the opportunity. On Brutal Winter, there is a bonus track made with Mystic Demonia, a friend of mine. I stay open to collaboration.

7.You have put out 4 albums in less than 2 years, would you say that music takes up most of your time?

Music takes time. To compose an album takes more than one day and, sometimes, it is hard to deal with music and everyday life at the same time. But I always have a bit of music in my head !


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and dungeon synth?

Right now I only have positive feedback. This is also what makes want to go further ! In “Brutal Winter” I tried to put some black metal elements in my music, we’ll see where it goes…


9.When can we expect the next album?

Maybe during spring or this summer ! I’m still trying to find a new direction but I think it will be more black metal with some atmospheric parts. I don’t really like doing the same thing again and again.

10.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an infleunce on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I’ve been influenced a lot in my youth by movie soundtracks such as : Dune, Willow, Dark Crystal, Star Trek, 2001 space odyssey, etc. Later I came to metal music. I’m also a huge fan of John Carpenters soundtrack et the OST of Conan by Polidoris, remains one of my favorite soundtrack. A part of that, I’m listening to metal, black metal and affiliate (Burzum, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Summoning), dungeon synth, indus and electro… I also like Ministry, Nine Inch Nails… I’m searching inspiration in literature and Nordic culture.

11.Does paganism play any role in your music?

Not really. The cultural aspect of paganism is interesting… However I’m not affiliate to any religion nor political movement.

12.Do you have any non musical interests?

No, the music takes all my free time. It's a passion!

13.Before we wrap up this album do you have any final words or thoughts?

like my music or go to hell ! ( just kidding : Hell would be a great place to appreciate my music ;) )


Bandcamp
Facebook
VKontakte
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment