Monday, May 30, 2016

Mort aux Gueux Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1-At first, it was a solo project. I began to record Black Metal tracks alone in my basement because I felt the need. Luc ''le Damné'' joined the project to ensure drums on half of ''EP'' Vaurien's tracks. We could say that the result is raw and old school Black Metal.

2.So far you have released a single, ep and a split, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
2- I believe the sonority presented on recordings sounds like 90's Black Metal bands, Darkthrone and Profanatica for example. Everything was produced in my basement ; artwork, recording, duplication… This is what I call Lo-Fi production, and we can definitely hear it in Mort aux Gueux.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3- The lyrics is often about desolation and no future. They expose what could be a life of a convict, a wretched, a varmint, a punk or a deserter maybe. The rejected of society is a subject that speaks to me a lot.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Mort aux Gueux'?
4-Once again, it refers to all the people we are trying to marginalized and to ''nipped in the bud'' in this sanitized society. Mort aux Gueux could be translated by ''Death to the Beggars''

5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?
5- I like to see Mort aux Gueux  as a kind of one-man band in which people work together. Nothing is set in stone for the forming except me.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
6-I'm interested in all aspects of the group, whether the artwork or distribution. Some labels have approached me but for now, I do not feel the need to look for one.

7.In February you where a part of a split with 'Horrenda', what are your thoughts on the other band that had participated on the recording?
7-It was a very nice experience to work with Horrenda. I liked the theme of the artwork, Grosse île, which was the bridge between our two nations, Quebec and Irish. Our Black metal combined very well, although Mort aux Gueux is more raw and Horrenda more experimental.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
8-I believe the feedback is really good. Strangely, I have not had bad reviews. I guess it's because Mort aux Gueux is unpretentious.

9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9- Returning back to the basement to record a full-length album due out in autumn 2016. Maybe I'll release some stuff by then ... Eventually, I want to create a Black Metal always more crude or crust punk. I have collaborators planned either for album art or music. Let's say I have a long-term vision for Mort aux Gueux unlike other areas of my life.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10-The albums that changed my life are certainly Morbid Visions of Sepultura, and later Transilvanian Hunger of Darkthrone. Now I listen to a lot of french Black Metal band as Caverne and Autarcie. Many quebecors bands, more thrash and crust punk, like Saccage are also part of my weekly plays.

11.Does Paganism or Occultism play any role in your music?
11- The albums cover's design may refer to it but it is not a huge part of our music.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12- Let me conclude by thanking black metal fans for their interest in Mort aux Gueux and the people who work to make known the underground bands as Occult Black Metalzine. Keep it up !

Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment