Wednesday, December 28, 2016

UR Interview


1.For those that have never heard f you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
UR is an absolutely new music project, created by three experienced guys inspired by different music genres! With no limits and totally relaxed we created our artistic concept. We started a year ago and for this time we have managed to make some solid tracks, record them and find the
label.

2.Recently you have released an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Correct, on 15th December our first record – MCD – “Hail Death” was released under the flag of Arachnophobia Records what makes me very proud! In my opinion it combines styles like Black, Thrash, Doom and even Hard Rock! Despite such a wide range the stuff is consistent and the tracks easily mix with each other what makes the atmosphere of this album unique. While creating I have focused on honest stylish riffs and natural, raw sound, not on technical tricks. It all was recorded perfectly, thanks to Marcin from Left Hand Sound Studio. The result is verysatisfying to me!

3.The band members have also played in other bands, what are some of the things you bring into the music with this group that you were not able to do in the past?
It’s about the way of creating music – there are no limits here! We’ve never worked like this before! First, at home, I prepare the frame, playing riffs I would like to listen to, without thinking if there’s not too much melody, if they’re not too simple etc. Then I come to the rehearsal and I play these riffs to our rhythm section, to do what they want with them. I never know the final effect and I love surprises (hehe). We’re power trio, so the communication is easy. UR is in fact a nice and creative way of spending time!

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
I admit, the lyrics are a hard thing for me. I haven’t written anything for a long time and apparently it became very difficult to me. I haven’t realised, that through all these years I withdrew into myself so I had to look deeply inside and bring it all out. Main subjects are death and loneliness and that would be all I want to say about it now.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'UR'?
UR in dead Sumerian language means a dog, an animal, large carnivore. Look for Assyrian reliefs and you’ll understand that it’s a beast you would never like to meet! (hehe)

6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Till now we have only two gigs behind us but the debut in Poznan was very successful. The audience was very interested because before the gig we haven’t shared any tracks in the Internet. Of course, there were some leaks and gossips but in fact most people didn’t know what to expect! It was really exciting experience. It was perfect, though we were nervous like if we were teenagers again! (hehe)

7.Do you have any touring or show pans for the future?
We don’t plan any tour or gigs on festivals till our long play is released. By the end of June we want to play in major cities in Poland in small clubs where it is nice to play and where contact with the audience is the best. At this moment we have only one gig confirmed, in Gdansk, on 28th January but I’m in touch with the promoters so next gigs are just a matter of time. Of course, we’re open to any invitations!

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
I am surprised, but the feedback was great from the beginning. First were friends, who could listen to our rehearsals, then there were bosses of labels, all of them really liked our stuff. All the time we get very good reviews from journalists and metal fans from all over the world. It makes me happy, because nowadays, when there are so many great bands it’s really hard to make something that attracts attention!

9.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
Yes. Together with Karol, drummer of UR we play in the band called Bloodstained, which is the ugly fusion of beatdown, hardcore and death metal. We also have a hard rock project, that’s not active at the moment. I also play in Polish black/thrash legend – Bloodthirst. In this year we’ve recorded an MCD “Glorious sinners” and got many good reviews. For our bass player Bony, UR is the only band.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
We already have a picture of our close future, because more than half of our long play is ready! I don’t want to reveal too much but I think it will be a continuation of the path we chose on “Hail Death”, so it will be contrast and raw but some of the musical subjects will be definitely more developed.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
There are many bands that inspired us for years. For me classic bands are the most important: Black Sabbath or Deep Purple have formed me as I was a young man and guitarist and because of that I’m so careful when I compose riffs. It doesn’t mean that for 20 years I’ve been listening to the same stuff (hehe), it’s the opposite. At the moment, in my player, you’ll find bands like Nightfell, Cloak, Vircolac or Okkultokrati and latest albums of Polish bands: Furia and Christ Agony – really strong and ambitious!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Hail Death! Let the Darkness Come!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment